Job ID #22
Salary - $20.21 /hour
Terms of Employment - Full-Time, Permanent
The Early Childhood Educator is responsible for the development and implementation of a day care program for young children from birth to five years of age, based on the philosophy of Emergent Curriculum.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provision of a high quality program, in consultation with team members and the supervisor.
- Development of a weekly program plan for the children based on learning outcomes discussed within team meetings.
- Ensuring consistent and effective modes of discipline are being followed which supports the Centre’s Behaviour Management Policy
- Guiding learning experiences and being a model to the children
- Observing, recording and assessing children, using the centre’s assessment and screening tool (Nipissing), twice per year.
- Development of Individual Program Plans based on assessment and screening results, in addition to anecdotal observations.
- Effectively communicating with parents on a regular basis, including parent interviews to share the results of the assessment and observations and goals for each child
- Supervision of students in placements by monitoring their progress, evaluating their performance and attending meetings with faculty supervisor
- Supervision of volunteers in the program, in accordance with the Centre’s volunteer guidelines.
Competencies and Behaviours
- Ability to relate to children, youth and parents: strong interpersonal relationship and problem-solving skills.
- Written and oral fluency in English.
- An understanding of the unique nature of family and community life within the Canadian Armed Forces is preferred.
- A demonstrated interest in continued personal and professional development.
Knowledge, Experience and Education
- A Diploma/Degree in Early Childhood Education (or equivalent as defined in the new Early Learning Act) with a minimum of 3 years’ experience.
- Designation as a Registered Early Childhood Educator with Ontario’s College of Early Childhood Educators.
- Knowledge of the principles of the Emergent Curriculum Approach to child care.
- Knowledge of the criteria required by City of Toronto for specific rooms.
- Familiarity with the Red Flags program to detect potential delays for referral.
- Current First Aid and CPR certification.
The successful applicant must be able to obtain a Vulnerable Sector Screening from their local police service and any offer made is conditional upon successful screening.
Position starts immediately after vetting, interview, reference and criminal checks.